From:                              Idealease <>

Sent:                               Friday, October 24, 2014 4:56 PM


Subject:                          Idealease Safety Bulletin - Do I need a CDL license to operate that truck?



Idealease Safety Bulletin






Brought to you by Idealsafe | 847-304-3190 |



Do I Need a CDL License to Operate That Truck?


Answer: The regulations that address this question are found in

FMCSA CFR 383.3.


383.3 Applicability. (a) The rules in this part apply to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate, foreign, or intrastate commerce, to all employers of such persons, and to all States.  The definition for a commercial motor vehicle for this regulation is as follows:


Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:


a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or


b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or


c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or


d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.



The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has released its 2014 Pocket Guide to Large Truck and Bus Statistics. The Pocket Guide is a compilation of statistics from the overall state of the industry to enforcement activity, details on traffic violations and other incidents, the costs of crashes, and more.


The data indicate that from 2009-2012, the number of fatal crashes involving at least one large truck (over 10,000 lbs. GVW) increased from 2,983 to 3,464. In the same period, the number of injury crashes involving a large truck rose from approximately 51,000 to 73,000. In addition, the number of crashes involving release of a hazardous materials cargo rose from 2,462 in 2009 to 2,748 in 2012. 


Crashes involving large trucks operated by a private carrier rose from 18,727 in 2009 to 21,270 in 2012.  Crashes involving large trucks operated by carriers with both for-hire and private authority rose from 8,281 in 2009 to 9,604 in 2012.



The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced on Tuesday that it has awarded $1 million in grants to nine technical and community colleges across the country to help train returning military veterans for jobs as commercial bus and truck drivers.  The funding is provided through FMCSA's Commercial Motor Vehicle - Operator Safety Training (CMV-OST) grant program.


"These unique grants are designed to help recruit, train and place veterans and their spouses in good jobs that are in high demand and in an industry that is vitally important in keeping our national economy moving forward," said FMCSA Acting Administrator Scott Darling. "Graduates of these training programs are continuing to serve our nation by ensuring that the goods and products we depend on are delivered professionally, efficiently and, most importantly, safely."


FMCSA awards CMV-OST grants to organizations that provide truck driving training, including accredited public or private colleges, universities, vocational-technical schools, post-secondary educational institutions, truck driver training schools, associations, and state and local governments, including federally-recognized Native American tribal governments.  The funds are used to recruit, train, and provide students job placement assistance after graduation.


To learn more about the Commercial Motor Vehicle - Operator Safety Training Grant Program, please visit:



The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has ended the United States-Mexico Cross-Border Long-Haul Trucking Pilot Program.  The program, which was intended to evaluate the ability of Mexico- domiciled motor carriers to operate safely in the United States beyond the municipalities and commercial zones along the United States-Mexico border, was in effect for three years.


The Pilot Program was part of FMCSA's implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) cross-border long-haul trucking provisions. The Pilot Program allowed approved Mexico-domiciled motor carriers to operate throughout the United States.  The Mexico-domiciled motor carriers that participated in the Pilot Program were required to complete a Pre-Authorization Safety Audit before being granted operating authority. In addition, they were required to successfully complete a compliance review, if they participated in the Pilot Program for 18 months.


As of October 10, 2014, there were 14 Mexican-based motor carriers with authority to operate in the United States.  The DOT Office of the Inspector General is conducting an audit of the Pilot Program to evaluate the rates of participation, enforcement and effect on safety of operations.



What are the Odds? 


The following four driving behaviors significantly increase the odds that you will be involved in an accident while operating a vehicle.

  1. Speeding - Driving at inappropriate speeds is associated with nearly tripling the odds of being involved in a crash or near-crash, relative to driving at appropriate speeds.
  2. Driving while drowsy - Driving while drowsy is also associated with nearly tripling the odds of being involved in a crash or near-crash, relative to driving while not drowsy.
  3. Aggressive driving - The odds of a crash or near-crash more than double when a driver is exhibiting aggressive driving behaviors.
  4. Taking your eyes off the road for more than two seconds - When a driver's eyes are off the forward roadway for greater than two seconds, the odds of a crash or near-crash occurring are nearly double those when the driver is paying attention to the forward roadway.



October 24, 2014



Follow Idealease online for current industry news

Facebook  Twitter



FAQs about the CDL as Addressed by the FMCSA:


May a person operate a CMV wholly on private property, not open to public travel, without a CDL? 


 Answer: YES.


Do mechanics, salesman, shop help and occasional drivers need a CDL if they are only test-driving a CMV? 


 Answer: YES, if the CMV is operated on a public street, road or highway.


I have moved, how long do I have to get my CDL license reissued by my new state of residence?

 Answer: 30 Days.


Do the regulations require that a person driving an empty school bus for a test drive or transport have a CDL?

 Answer: Yes, if the bus is designed to transport 16 or more passengers and or the bus has a MGVWR that exceeds 26,000lbs a CDL would be required.  However, since the unit is empty a passenger endorsement would not be required.


A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds GVWR, towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a CMV and does the driver need a CDL?

 Answer: No to both questions. Although the vehicle has a GCWR of 36,000 pounds, it is not a CMV under any part of the definition of that term in §383.5, and a CDL is not federally required.



Time to Fall Back...Daylight Savings Time Change in One Week!


Daylight savings time will "fall back" at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, November 2nd.

Make sure that all of your drivers are aware that the change to daylight savings will occur. Caution route drivers especially that the amount of daylight will change according to their stops with the change. An intersection or street can present different challenges to drivers with one hour change in the position of the sun. One hour of time difference can present unique changes to a driver who is on a route.





The Idealease Safety Bulletin is provided for Idealease affiliates and their customers and is not to be construed as a complete or exhaustive source of compliance or safety information. The Idealease Safety Bulletin is advisory in nature and does not warrant, guarantee, or otherwise certify compliance with laws, regulations, requirements, or guidelines of any local, state, or Federal agency and/or governing body, or industry standards.



Forward this email

This email was sent to by |  

| 430 N. Rand Road | N. Barrington | IL | 60010